Saturday, March 6, 2010

Other Butter Option 2: Tofu Butter?


This is based off of a recipe in "How it All Vegan" for a really basic butter-like spread. All I've done is add roasted garlic. I'm not saying this is the best thing I've ever had, and it is 100% not butter, but it looks a little like butter (I think this is what the cookbook was mostly going for) and it's got the salt. I added the roasted garlic because it still tasted too much like tofu to me. I also upped the salt from "a pinch" to an actual amount.

The garlic makes a big difference, although it takes away from the butter-like simplicity that we're going for.

Biggest complaint? The texture. It has the gelatinous quality of silken tofu. This doesn't come across so much once you've spread it, but it makes me feel a little funny in my tummy when I stick my knife intp the container and the whole thing quivers like some half-dead sea creature.

But anyway. My toast is no longer dry.

Easy Veggie Butter

3/4 c. soft tofu

2 tbsp. flax oil or olive oil

1/2 tsp. salt

3-4 cloves roasted garlic

dash of tumeric

In a blender, blend all ingredients together until well mixed.

Annnd done.

I used half and half on the oil, for the olive oil flavor and the flax good-for-you-ness.

1 comment:

  1. After using this for a couple of days, I've decided I'm really not a fan. It's still to tofu-y and the consistency is just wrong. However, I did mix some with white rice and stuff some mildly spicy green peppers - like anaheim - and pan fry them. This was successful.

    ReplyDelete