Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Simple Hummus


I have hummus recipe ish. (That's short for 'issue,' btw.) I can't find one I like. The hummus recipe in “How it All Vegan” is like a lot of the ones I have problems with: too complicated. Too many things in there. I think there's one in my “Vegetarian for Everyone” book that's pretty basic, but something about it bugs me, although I can't remember what. I haven't made in a while, though, ostensibly for that reason.

Or I'm just lazy. I hate opening a cook book for something I should just be able to throw together to taste. Something where all the ingredients end up in a food processor.

The problem then becomes my inability to repeat past combos. My hummus comes out different every time. This is fine, but it would be nice, once and a while, to have expectations and then to meet them.

So this time I measured. And I didn't accidentally put too much salt.


Plain Jane Hummus

½ c. tahini

½ cup olive oil (plus some for drizzle)

¼ c. fresh lemon juice

4+ cloves roasted garlic

1 15 oz. can chickpeas

approx. ¼ c. chickpea juice or water

salt to taste

paprika


  1. In a food processor or blender, combine tahini, olive oil, lemon juice garlic and some salt (about ¼ tsp?) until smooth.

  2. Add chickpeas and liquid some at a time until all chickpeas are incorporated and hummus is the consistency you desire.

  3. Adjust salt.

  4. Scoop into dish, drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with paprika and serve.


This is a pretty mild hummus. Like a base hummus. Feel free to up the lemon juice or garlic, or to add a little cumin (½ – 1 tsp?) to taste. I prefer roasted garlic to regular because I cannot control fresh garlic. The flavor deepens as it sits, and every time I use the fresh stuff the hummus comes out two steps away from purely medicinal. I mean, I like garlic, but come on. Roasting the garlic mellows it out a little, but if you don't keep it around - I generally try to roast a couple bulbs every so often and just keep them in a tupperware in the fridge – fresh will do. Just start fewer and taste as you go.

No comments:

Post a Comment