Sunday, September 26, 2010

Carrot Relish


Now that money's tighter, and I'm living more on my own again, that is not that I wasn't living alone before but I was sharing more meals, I'm on a kick to use everything up in the fridge before:

a) it goes bad and
b) I go shopping again.

I always have carrots around because they last forever and they make a good snack when I'm frantic running
out the door and don't want to eat another goddamn cracker, but aside from that I don't really put them in much. They go in tomato sauces sometimes or on sandwiches maybe, but I don't like them in salads unless they're grated and I'm too lazy to grate things on a serving to serving basis. I hate cleaning the grater; I always cut myself. But the more carrots get grated at once, the more meals the grating is spread out over, the greater the cost:benefit.

Carrot Relish
(serves 2-3)

2 carrots, grated
1 clove garlic, minced
1 jalapeno (or several random chilies) or to taste, minced*
Juice of 1/2 a lime
Salt to taste

one: Mix carrot, garlic and jalapeno in a bowl.

two: Add lime juice and salt. Taste and adjust.

three: Serve.

Particularly awesome on a burrito in place of salsa when you accidentally buy salsa that isn't spicy enough. Also good on humus sandwiches and def with any sort of peanut anything, including chicken or even red meat!

*note about the chilies: I like things uber spicy. It can be a problem for other people. In my case, I chopped up the chilies whole (I used about three small spicy red and yellows I got at our neighborhood farmer's market) seeds and all, but if you're not that into it, you could consider removing the seeds. Then you get some of the spice from the pepper's flesh, but it won't be as painful.

1 comment:

  1. Addendum: chopped tomato - cherry tomatoes in particular - are a nice addition. About 6 or so cherry tomatoes - red and yellow looks lovely - chopped (approximately in 1/8s). This will also mellow out the spice if you accidentally put too much chili in there.

    ReplyDelete